Friday, March 25, 2011

HTC Thunderbolt Dropping Wi-Fi Hotspot Connections Intermittently?


We've received a few reports that the recently released HTC Thunderbolt has been selectively dropping it's Wi-Fi hotspot connection, even with good to great coverage. As you know I've got one on-hand, and just tried it out myself. In the process of writing this post, I lost my connection (3G, not 4G) twice, both while sitting still and not moving the phone at all. Meanwhile the connection has fluctuated between 2-4 out of four bars.

Have you new Thunderbolt owners had similar problems when in a good service area? The same happened for me yesterday while playing with the handset, but with a poor connection it didn't seem like a big deal. Now it does. Since I've been able to replicate the problem, here's how it works:

When using the Hotspot feature, my computer connects and it works fine for 5-20 minutes. Then suddenly web pages stop loading, and on the Thunderbolt a message saying how many connections the Hotspot app has pops up. It should of course only pop up when first connecting, which means that the connection was dropped. Then the connection will flicker in and out.

I've reached out to Verizon and HTC, and will update with their response. Let us know in the comments if you're experiencing similar problems.